Re: 2.6.15-ck1

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 20:21:31 EST

Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> sounds like we need some sort of profiler or benchmarker or at least a
> tool that helps finding out which timers are regularly firing, with the
> aim at either grouping them or trying to reduce their disturbance in
> some form.

I did one some time ago for my own noidletick patch. Can probably dig
it out again. It just profiled which timers interrupted idle.

Executive summary for my laptop: worst was the keyboard driver (it ran
some polling driver to work around some hardware bug, but fired very
often) , followed by the KDE desktop (should be mostly
fixed now, I complained) and the X server and some random kernel
drivers.

I haven't checked recently if keyboard has been fixed by now.

-Andi