Re: 2.6.15-ck1

From: Dave Jones
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 16:21:56 EST

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 09:33:56PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > Ah interesting. It needs to be totally idle for a period of time before
> > anything starts to happen at all. After about a minute of doing nothing,
> > it started to fluctuate once a second 20,21,19,20,19,20,18,21,19,20,22 etc..
>

> sounds like we need some sort of profiler or benchmarker or at least a
> tool that helps finding out which timers are regularly firing, with the
> aim at either grouping them or trying to reduce their disturbance in
> some form.

And the winner (by a *big* margin) is...

USB.

rh_timer_func() gets called quite a *lot*. (Looks like every 250ms)

cursor_timer_handler() too. *blinky blinky*

X causes lots of hits to it_real_fn()
(incidentally, the power fluctuation only happens when at the
console. When in X, it never happens, so we're probably hitting
this a little too often in that case).

lots of apps cause process_timeout to be hit frequently.

Dave