RE: [Patch] es7000 broken without acpi

From: Protasevich, Natalie
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 10:04:59 EST

> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 03:48:08PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > I believe that es7000 requires ACPI, so a better fix would be to
> > enforce that within Kconfig.
> >
> > Natalie, can you please comment?
> >

> This was discussed back in October [1], but nothing became of
> it. Should I resend the patch perhaps?
>
> Peter
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112928755800002&r=1&w=2

The only possible problem I see with that patch is making genapic
dependant on ACPI, which I'm not sure about (for example, if Summit
would want that, but nobody commented back then...Andi, what do you
think?) As for ES7000, it fixes build problem overall, however, maybe it
would be prudent to make it builldable even without its dependency on
ACPI, just for correctness sake, meaning properly #ifdef-ing ACPI parts,
this will make it more versatile (even though I cannot think of
situation it might be used...Andi, what do you think? :)
--Natalie