Re: Understanding Linux addr space, malloc, and heap

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 10:23:43 EST

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:11 -0400, Vincent W. Freeh wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 09:45 -0400, Vincent W. Freeh wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks for your quick response. It basically confirmed that I observed
> >>what I thought I did. However, I am no closer to solving my problem. I
> >>cannot mprotect data that I malloc beyond the first 65 pages.
> >

> > you can't mprotect malloc() memory period ..
>
> Actually, I can and do. Simple program at end.

Ok I meant in the "while adhering to the standard" :)

> I call mprotect and it return 0--meaning it succeeded. But the
> permissions on the page remain rw. So it fails to change the
> permissions, but doesn't give any indication of this.
>
> Thanks,
> vince.
>
> ------------------
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <sys/mman.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
> void *p;
> int pgsize = getpagesize();
>
> p = malloc(1024);
> mprotect((void*)((unsigned)p & ~(pgsize-1)), 1024, PROT_NONE);
> printf("\t*p = %d\n", *(int *)p);
> return 0;
>}

this has a bug, the 1024 is wrong... what if your "p" point actually
spans 2 pages?

but to have "some effect" even for malloc-falling-back-to-mmap..
just there's a bunch of collateral damage since you mprotect more than
just the memory you got from malloc. mprotect works on page size.. so if
p spans 2 pages (why wouldn't it ;) you mprotect either the wrong memory
(as in your example) or too much (eg both pages)...