Re: kernel allows loadkeys to be used by any user, allowing for local root compromise

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 18:25:31 EST

Paul Jakma wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

OTOH I don't know why ordinary users should be allowed to change key
bindings.

I like to load a custom keymap to swap ctrl and caps-lock.

I'd like to keep that ability, but I'd much prefer if it didn't affect all VTs, and if it didn't persist past the end of my session.

I believe in security, no matter how inconvenient, but it would be desirable to allow the user to reload the keymap, and the character set as well, only for the session in use. The solution would seem to lie in having an unchanging SAK key, and on exit from a session absolutely reset everything.

Clearly this would take some rethinking and a fair amount of work, so the right thing to do is use capabilities to block misuse until/unless convenience can be made secure.

Key mapping as a whole sucks, you have the map you get in a vt, which is ignored by X which maps its own, except when an X app remaps it yet again locally. Lots of room for both evil and stupidity.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)