Re: Sequence of network cards

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 16:37:34 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
Is the algorithm for assignment of eth? numbers by Linux kernel
documented anywhere?

it's generally on a pci bus order. However... if you switch to acpi by
going from 2.4 to 2.6, the pci bus order might change.

The good news is that you can do a few things to mitigate this:
1) Several distros (including Fedora Core) allow you to bind ethX
numbers to mac addresses, eg effectively persistent binding of ethX
numbers to specific cards
2) you can rename ethX to ethY yourself with nameif and similar tools.

I knew about nameif, I was unaware of the bind to MAC solution, and thank you much for it. As the number of cards goes up it scales easily.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)