Re: kernel bugzilla

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Jun 18 2005 - 10:47:02 EST

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 02:39:46PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > One thing I haven't worked out is how to get a bug which is initially
> > > reported via email *into* the bugzilla system for tracking purposes. One
> > > could just ask the originator to raise a bugzilla entry, as lots of other
> > > projects do. But I don't think we want to do that - it's in our interest
> > > to make bug reporting as easy as possible for the reporter, rather than
> > > putting up barriers.
> >
> > Depends... Sometimes it's quite ok to put the onus on the reported to
> > file it in bugzilla, since it should be considered in his best interest
> > to do so - he obviously filed the bug, because the issue bothers him in
> > some way. As long as it is 'easy enough' to do so, I think we are
> > alright. The question is if this can't be automated fairly easily. A
> > good bugzilla interface helps a _lot_.
>
> Agree. We should encourage people to use bugzilla as the initial
> entry-point. But if someone instead uses email as the first contact I'm
> just a little bit reluctant to say "thanks, now go and try again".
>
> Perhaps we could find some nice volunteer (hint) who could take the task of
> transferring such reports into bugzilla. There wouldn't be very many, really.

Why does this has to be done manually?

Reporting a bug in a Bugzilla only requires creating an account (if you
don't have one) and entering the bug. It's not a "do it again", since
the user already has the whole contents of the bug report. If you've
written an email with a good bug report pasting it into a Bugzilla
shouldn't be a problem.

The big problem for users of many bug tracking systems (including the
kernel Bugzilla) is not that bug reporting was too hard. The problem is
that bugs aren't handled in time.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.