Re: Adaptec AIC-79xx HostRaid

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 13:07:08 EST

Clemente Aguiar wrote:
On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 06:13:03PM +0100, Clemente Aguiar wrote:

Hello,

We have acquired some IBM xServers which have an integrated raid

controller

based on the Adaptec AIC-79xx U320 SCSI controller (called HostRaid).

Is there already support for HostRaid? Are there drivers for it?
From which kernel version and where do I find it in the config?

HostRaid is just software RAID; you can ignore it and let Linux use the
underlying SCSI devices via the standard aic79xx driver.

Jeff

What do you mean it is just software RAID? Can you explain?
On the servers there is a configuration option to enable HostRaid, and when
I turn that option ON the mirroring between the two discs start and after a
while they are mirrored.
I think that in terms of performance it should be better to used the
"on-board" HostRaid facility.
Don't you think so?

HostRaid is not on-board. It is provided by your system CPU, through the card's BIOS and the OS driver.

HostRaid is software RAID, just like Linux's md.

Jeff