Re: Adaptec AIC-79xx HostRaid

From: Jeff Sipek
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 13:03:58 EST

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:21:05PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 06:13:03PM +0100, Clemente Aguiar wrote:
> >=20
> > Hello,
> >=20
> > We have acquired some IBM xServers which have an integrated raid contro=
ller
> > based on the Adaptec AIC-79xx U320 SCSI controller (called HostRaid).
> >=20
> > Is there already support for HostRaid? Are there drivers for it?
> > >From which kernel version and where do I find it in the config?
>=20
> HostRaid is just software RAID; you can ignore it and let Linux use the
> underlying SCSI devices via the standard aic79xx driver.

As far as I know, it is software raid done much closer to the hw than
the linux sw raid (md).

There is a module (binary only) from Adaptec that lets Linux use HostRaid,
but from what I saw, it just worked with RHEL 3.x and some other ancient
RH releases. When I was installing RHEL 4 on an IBM xServer, I decided to
just do standard linux sw array.

Jeff.

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd--