RE: [patch 1/1] Do not enforce unique IO_APIC_ID for Xeonprocessors in EM64T mode (x86_64)

From: Protasevich, Natalie
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 13:01:43 EST

> A run-time solution would be preferable to adding a config
> option that only changes the default behaviour.
>
> In general, the more config options, the more kernels we
> force distros to build and support. We really want to going
> the other way and simplifying, when possible.

Len and Zwane, I sure agree with you. I will take the config option out.
Would the APIC version be a good criteria to make a run-time decision
with Xeons? I know that everything Intel that can run EM64T has front
side bus (APIC version >= 20?). And I guess the boot parameter can still
be useful?

Thanks,
--Natalie