Re: Hanged/Hunged process in Linux

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 12:17:06 EST

On Wed, 04 May 2005 14:38:48 +0900, Deepak said:
> I am working on a Linux based system and developing a monitoring process
> which shall do the following function

> Anybody having another definition for a "Hanged process" in Linux
> context

Around here, the big issue is usually a process stuck in 'D' state - in
other words, a process that's done a syscall or otherwise entered the
kernel (page faults and AIO being other possibilities) and hasn't returned.
Since signals are delivered at return time, even a 'kill -9' wont do the
desired thing. These are almost always the result of either kernel bugs
or hardware failures.

There was a lengthy thread a while ago about how to deal with these, and the
consensus was that there's *NO* good general way to un-wedge such a process,
and that fixing the underlying bug or hardware fault is the only way to deal
with it.