Hanged/Hunged process in Linux

From: Deepak
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 00:40:08 EST

I am working on a Linux based system and developing a monitoring process
which shall do the following function

(1) It will detect abnormally terminated application process and will
restart the process group

(2) It will detect a hanged application and will restart it

My query is regarding second point . What should be the proper
definition of a "Hanged Process" in Linux context . I searched on google
regarding it and got the following definitions

(1) A process not accepting any signals and consuming system resources
(2) A process in STOP state
(3) A process in deadlock state

Process conforming to definition 3 will be due to race conditions/bad
programming.Definition 1 does define a proper hanged process but is it
possible to create such a process in LInux as in linux signal delivery
to the process and its handling is assured by the Linux kernel.

Anybody having another definition for a "Hanged process" in Linux