Re: zImage on 2.6?

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 11:41:51 EST

Please keep me CCd

Rick Warner wrote:
> On Monday 02 May 2005 09:29 pm, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > Is it possible to use zImage on 2.6 kernels or is bzImage required?
> Why do you need the zImage anyway? Maybe there is another way around the
> problem you are having. Can you post what you are trying to do (end goal) ?

This is a little project I'm doing to beable to load a system onto a hard
drive. The linux system is short lived by design and will run out of a
tmpfs root populated by various tgz files found either on CDs or a USB
stick.

My goal (which I realize may not be achivable nor is it important in the
long run) is to get the kernel and the initrd onto a single floppy disk
(Currently, I'm ~80kb too large for this).

I decided (remembering 2.2 days and prior when zImage was normally used) to
try zImage to see what happened. I was going to compare the size of the
resulting images. That's when I hit the problem.

I understand that upx can compress the kernel better and I also remember
hearing about utilizing bzip2 as the compressor for the kernel and initrd
images.

As far as my question, it still stands. Is bzImage required (i386/x86) for
a 2.6 kernel?