Re: fcntl: F_SETLEASE/F_RDLCK question

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 11:38:16 EST

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:21:24PM -0400, William A.(Andy) Adamson wrote:
> the other side of the coin would be break_lease.

Yeah, I'm a little confused as to why anyone would have the expectation
that read leases would not conflict with write opens by the same
process, given that break_lease() has never functioned that way, so
later write opens by the same process have always broken any read lease.

Are there applications that actually depend on the old behaviour? Is
there any documentation that blesses it? All I can find is the fcntl
man page, and as far as I can tell an implementation that makes read
leases conflict with all write opens (by the same process or not) is
consistent with that man page.

--b.