RE: clock drift with two Promise Ultra133 TX2 (PDC 20269) cards

From: Drew Winstel
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 11:09:41 EST

>Hm, I patched the kernel with 2.6.11-libata-dev1, compiled it with

># CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_NEW is not set
>CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y (for the motherboard IDE)
>CONFIG_SCSI=y
>CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
>CONFIG_SCSI_PATA_PDC2027X=y

>and rebooted. SCSI is initialized and the pata_pdc2027x driver is
>loaded, but it doesn't seem to find any devices. Or maybe it doesn't
>look for devices at all. I can tell that it's loaded by the existence
>of /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pata_pdc2027x (a directory which is empty).

>/proc/scsi/scsi is also empty besides the "Attached devices:" line.
>During startup the kernel does say "Probing IDE interface ide0"
>through "ide5" (finding only devices on ide0). I also tried compiling
>pata_pdc2027x as a module, with same result.

>What's wrong here?

I think I know what the problem is.

In include/linux/libata.h, make sure the preprocessor declarations are as
follows. I think the defaults have ATA_ENABLE_PATA undefined.

#define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* undefine to disable ATAPI support */
#define ATA_ENABLE_PATA /* define to enable PATA support in some
* low-level drivers */

Sorry I forgot to mention this earlier.

Drew