Re: Mercurial 0.4b vs git patchbomb benchmark

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 11:37:19 EST

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > -#!/usr/bin/python
> > +#!/usr/bin/env python

> Could you explain why this is necessary or desirable? I looked at what
> env does, and I am missing the point of duplicating bash normal
> behaviour regarding definition of per-process environment entries.

It's not about environment.

It's about the fact that many people have things like python in
/usr/local/bin/python, because they compiled it themselves or similar.

Pretty much the only path you can _really_ depend on for #! stuff is
/bin/sh.

Any system that doesn't have /bin/sh is so fucked up that it's not worth
worrying about. Anything else can be in /bin, /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin
(and sometimes other strange places).

That said, I think the /usr/bin/env trick is stupid too. It may be more
portable for various Linux distributions, but if you want _true_
portability, you use /bin/sh, and you do something like

#!/bin/sh
exec perl perlscript.pl "$@"

instead.
Linus