Re: [2.6 patch] drivers/ieee1394/: remove unneeded EXPORT_SYMBOL's

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 18:44:29 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 04:32:24PM -0400, Dan Dennedy wrote:
Based upon my experience of several years on this project there is only
one external kernel module project we need to consider because that
developer has been involved and voiced requirements. That is Arne
Caspari's (The Imaging Source) DFG/1394 driver.

The ideal solution would be to get this driver included in the kernel.
Are there any reasons against including it?

Arne stated his reasons: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=110361846312128
(BTW, does Arne have commit access to the linux1394 repo yet?)

I vote to remove external symbols not used by the Linux1394.org modules
or the module at http://sourceforge.net/projects/video-2-1394/
Of course, I may be voted down, but I ask the others to be realistic
about what we are arguing for (i.e. just being defensive?) and consider
the fact that there are valid reasons for their removal.

Yes, there are. (Although one of the reasons -- size of the kernel -- is in effect neglectible.) So let's see if further opinions are coming in at the lists now. Then let's decide how to manage removal of the stuff.

The DFG/1394 driver requires hpsb_read and hpsb_write.

Are there any Linux1394.org modules that are not in 2.6.12-rc2-mm3?

No.
--
Stefan Richter