RE: 2.6.12-rc2-mm3 pciehp regression

From: Sy, Dely L
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 18:36:34 EST

On Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:50 PM, Tom Duffy wrote:
> > The errors I encountered were:
> > Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
> > Umount /sys failed: 16
> > mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> > mount: error 2 mounting none
> > Switching to new root
> > Switchroot: mount failed 22
> > umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
> >
> > I also encountered issue you & others discussed in the thread on
> > "Re: Heads up on 2.6.12-rc1 and later" if I used SCSI drive.
> >
> > Can you send me the config file you used successfully on your
> > system?
>
> You will need to boot the system UP (not SMP). There is a problem
> with modules loading too fast that causes the initrd to fail.

This doesn't help on my system. I tried both ways: using boot option
with nosmp, and rebuilding kernel with SMP off in config file.

Using nosmp, I got:
IOAPIC [0]: Invalid reference to IRQ 0
.
.
audit(....) initialized
ide 1 : ....
id1 1 : ports already in use, skipping

and system halted

Rebuilding kernel with SMP off in config file, I got:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

Thanks,
Dely