Re: question on 2.4 scheduler, threads, and priority inversion

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 18:32:48 EST

Chris Friesen wrote:
I seem to be having an issue with 2.4 and linuxthreads.

I have a program that spawns a child thread, and that child boosts itself into a realtime scheduler class.

The child then went crazy and turned into a cpu hog. At this point, a higher-priority task detected the hog, and tried to kill the process by sending a "kill -9" to the main thread. Unfortunately, it appears that there is some kind of priority-inversion thing happening, as the process did not die.

Is this expected behaviour? Is there any way around this? Do I need to put the main thread at a higher priority than any of the child threads? What about the manager thread?

Thanks,

Chris

I believe that in the old LinuxThreads implementation the manager thread is the one that handles all signals, so it may need its priority increased as well. NPTL threads likely handle this much better (there is no manager thread).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx