question on 2.4 scheduler, threads, and priority inversion

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 11:47:24 EST

I seem to be having an issue with 2.4 and linuxthreads.

I have a program that spawns a child thread, and that child boosts itself into a realtime scheduler class.

The child then went crazy and turned into a cpu hog. At this point, a higher-priority task detected the hog, and tried to kill the process by sending a "kill -9" to the main thread. Unfortunately, it appears that there is some kind of priority-inversion thing happening, as the process did not die.

Is this expected behaviour? Is there any way around this? Do I need to put the main thread at a higher priority than any of the child threads? What about the manager thread?

Thanks,

Chris