Re: insmod segfault in pci_find_subsys()

From: Toralf Lund
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 02:22:11 EST

Sam Ravnborg wrote:

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 01:49:10PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:

Yes. As I've (also) already said elsewhere, I knew that, really. The current build setup fails to do this partly for historical reasons, partly because the driver also supports different OSes. (And is still expected to build correctly with Linux 2.4, not just 2.6.)

Hmmm. Seems like my original reply to this message got lost...

Following trick works with both 2.4 and 2.6:

makefile:
all:
$(MAKE) -C Kernel_src_path SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules

Makefile:

obj-m := mymodule.o

It obtains CFLAGS as expected etc.
People seems to do their best to avoid such a simple setup :-(

What? Write a simple makefile that a normal human being may actually understand? Not autogenerate something utterly unreadable from something that's autogenerated from something that's ... ???

It's not *quite* that simple with the module I'm talking about, though, as the source code is split into several files. Which is a Good Thing, IMO.

Also, I was unsure if this would work with Linux 2.4 (but I was going to test it)...

Sam