Re: Why Ext2/3 needs immutable attribute?

From: Xin Zhao
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 18:52:34 EST

We can certainly harden the system, but sometime the vulnerability in
kernel is hard to detect and protect. For example, the brk()
vulnerablitiy found in Linux kernel. All the security mechanisms you
mentioned have to rely on a healthy kernel. Unfortunately, the kernel
itself could be compromised too. Although it could be very difficult,
thereotically speaking, any kernel level protection, including
SELinux, could be disabled after the kernel is compromised. Am I
missing some points here?