Re: Why Ext2/3 needs immutable attribute?

From: Bernd Eckenfels
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 14:49:23 EST

In article <4ae3c140504170912b36e9b1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
> Yes. I know, with immutable, even root cannot modify sensitive
> files. What I am curious is if an intruder has root access, he may
> have many ways to turn off the immutable protection and modify files.

If you secure your system correctly (i.e make /dev/*mem imutable, disalow
module loading, restrict io... (and I admit it is quite complicated to find
all holes and secure it correctly without additional ptches like SELinux))
then even root cant gt arround immutable or append only (without rebooting).

Greetings
Bernd