Re: [INFO] Kernel strict versioning

From: Franco \"Sensei\"
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 17:41:37 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
this is a joke right? If you really think this you have no idea what ABI
stability means and how extremely hard it is to even sort of remotely
approach it.

I know it's really hard, the only way of possibly having ABI is plannig things really carefully about every single thing, so knowing every single piece... It's freakin' hard.

Trust me. It's *extremely* hard to impossible. Several security fixes
can only be fixed this way. And it's REALLY fragile even if for other
fixes. And I am very glad that the linux kernel people in general decide
to not go for abi stability, the hacks that would be needed would be so
obscene and the gains very very minimal. (it's open source, you have the
source after all!)

The gains are simply a rough reuse of older modules! Just joking...

I was simply wondering how guys like beos/haiku (it's a microkernel... i know... don't even think about starting a flame) could get ABI/API... I mean, if it's true that they have... I don't think it's because of c++ instead of plain c...

--
Sensei <mailto:senseiwa@xxxxxx> <pgp:8998A2DB>
<icqnum:241572242>