Re: [INFO] Kernel strict versioning

From: Franco \"Sensei\"
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 14:50:51 EST

David Lang wrote:
there are at least a half dozen options besides SMP that have similar effects.

And of course if I take care of making them consistent... What I'd like is stability. Not in the sense of having a rock-stable kernel, that of course is already there. I'd like API stability, if API stability is achieved, ABI is there.

Ok, now you are talking a distro, not linux itself. different subject, belongs on different lists (and by the way distros already tend to do this type of thing)

No. I have compiled everything from scratch, every single package. Now, every vanilla kernel brings the problem of recompiling modules for that particular version.

first off, if you can deploy a new kernel across 100 machines you can deploy new modules along with it.

second, if you are applying the patch and know that it doesn't affect anything that the modules use you don't have to recompile the modules, but if you want to be safe becouse you don't know what the patch affects then you replace the modules as well (for all you know the patch affects just a module, not the base kernel.

Applying a patch to 2.6.11 making it 2.6.12 brings one thing: all modules external to the vanilla kernel are no longer there and I have to recompile them every time...

again you are talking about what a distro chooses to do, go ahead and do this if you want, but it has no relevance to the kernel mailing list.

This will be my last message on this subject, hopefully you will let this die or take the conversation to the mailing lists of the distros that you choose to use.

The global feeling about kernel is that it seems that you don't care about the purpose of your task, which of course is not the kernel by itself. It can't be. It's about what it does (and already does it well), and what it provides to third-parties: the kernel and the API given to the outside world, since the kernel is not alone... and will never be of course! ;)

--
Sensei <mailto:senseiwa@xxxxxx> <pgp:8998A2DB>
<icqnum:241572242>