Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Jan Hudec
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 01:38:03 EST

Marcin Dalecki <martin@xxxxxxxxxx> complained:
> Arch isn't a sound example of software design. Quite contrary to the
> random notes posted by it's author the following issues did strike me
> the time I did evaluate it:
> [...]

I didn't comment on this first time, but I see I should have. *NONE* of
the issues you complained about were issues of *DESIGN*. They were all
issues of *ENGINEERING*. *ENGINEERING* issues can be fixed. One of the
issues does not even exist any longer (the diff/patch one -- it now
checks they are the right ones -- and in all other respects it is
*exactly* the same as depending on a library)

But what really matters here is the concept. Arch has a simple concept,
that works well. Others have different concepts, that work well or
almost well too (Darcs, Monotone).

Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>