Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 16:29:57 EST

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 Luck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It looks like an operation like "show me the history of mm/memory.c" will
> be pretty expensive using git.

Yes. Per-file history is expensive in git, because if the way it is
indexed. Things are indexed by tree and by changeset, and there are no
per-file indexes.

You could create per-file _caches_ (*) on top of git if you wanted to make
it behave more like a real SCM, but yes, it's all definitely optimized for
the things that _I_ tend to care about, which is the whole-repository
operations.

Linus

(*) Doing caching on that level is probably find, especially since most
people really tend to want it for just the relatively few files that they
work on anyway. Limiting the caches to a subset of the tree should be
quite effective.