Re: vfat: why is shortname=lower the default?

From: OGAWA Hirofumi
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 08:13:23 EST

Xuân Baldauf <xuan--2004.03.29--linux-kernel--vger.kernel.org@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Why is shortname=lower the default mount option for vfat filesystems?
> Because, with "shortname=lower", copying one FAT32 filesystem tree to
> another FAT32 filesystem tree using Liux results in semantically
> different filesystems. (E.g.: Filenames which were once "all
> uppercase" are now "all lowercase").

The reason is only it's very long-standing behavior. When this
behavior was changed before, it seems an one user was confused at
least.

Personally I agree that "winnt" or "mixed" is proper.

However, if we want to change the default behavior, it would need to
be tested for some months, and if anyone has no objection it can
change I think.

Thanks.
--
OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>