vfat: why is shortname=lower the default?

From: Xuân Baldauf
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 15:37:29 EST

Hi Hirofumi,

Why is shortname=lower the default mount option for vfat filesystems? Because, with "shortname=lower", copying one FAT32 filesystem tree to another FAT32 filesystem tree using Liux results in semantically different filesystems. (E.g.: Filenames which were once "all uppercase" are now "all lowercase").

With "shortname=mixed", such semantic changes would not occur. That's why I'd consider "shortname=lower" as default mount option as a bug. I'd propose "shortname=mixed" as default as a fix for this bug.

What do you think?

ciao,
Xuân.

P.S.: "man mount" says:

shortname=[lower|win95|winnt|mixed]

Defines the behaviour for creation and display of filenames which fit into 8.3 characters. If a long name for a file exists, it will always be preferred display. There are four modes:

lower Force the short name to lower case upon display; store a long name when the short name is not all upper case.

win95 Force the short name to upper case upon display; store a long name when the short name is not all upper case.

winnt Display the shortname as is; store a long name when the short name is not all lower case or all upper case.

mixed Display the short name as is; store a long name when the short name is not all upper case.

The default is "lower".