Re: [uml-devel] [patch 02/12] uml: cpu_relax fix

From: Blaisorblade
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 20:55:51 EST

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 18:09, Bodo Stroesser wrote:
> blaisorblade@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Use rep_nop instead of barrier for cpu_relax, following $(SUBARCH)'s
> > doing that (i.e. i386 and x86_64).
>
> IIRC, Jeff had the idea, to use sched_yield() for this (from a discussion
> on #uml).
Hmm, makes sense, but this is to benchmark well... I remember from early
discussions on 2.6 scheduler that using sched_yield might decrease
performance (IIRC starve the calling application).

Also, that call should be put inside the idle loop, not for cpu_relax, which
is very different, since it is used (for instance) in kernel/spinlock.c for
spinlocks, and in such things. The "Pause" opcode is explicitly recommended
(by Intel manuals, I don't recall why) for things like spinlock loops, and
using yield there would be bad.

--
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade
Linux registered user n. 292729