Re: OOM problems on 2.6.12-rc1 with many fsx tests

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 20:54:20 EST

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 03:42:32PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> I'm suspecting here that we simply leaked a refcount on every darn
> pagecache page in the machine. Note how mapped memory has shrunk down to
> less than a megabyte and everything which can be swapped out has been
> swapped out.
>
> If so, then oom-killing everything in the world is pretty inevitable.

Agreed, it looks like a memleak of a page_count (while mapcount is fine).

I would suggest looking after pages part of pagecache (i.e.
page->mapcount not null) that have a mapcount of 0 and a page_count > 1,
almost all of them should be like that during the memleak, and almost
none should be like that before the memleak.

This seems unrelated to the bug that started the thread that was clearly
a slab shrinking issue and not a pagecache memleak.

Thanks.