Re: KGDB question

From: Tom Rini
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 11:49:33 EST

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:29:58PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > kgdb patches are maintained in -mm kernels.
> > >
> > > Patches are in
> > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.11/2.6.11
> > >-mm1/broken-out/*kgdb*
> > >
> > > And the patch application order is described in
> > >
> > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.11/2.6.11
> > >-mm1/patch-series -
> >
> > What's the latest status on these? Last I heard, some cleanup was going to
> > happen to make kgdb suitable for the mainline, did that ever happen?
>
> It part-happened, then the effort seemed to die.

Mutter, mutter, curse, mutter.
We got stuck on things like backtrace going on forever, and then trying
to find a way to get GDB to believe we want it to stop backtracing. I
think we've finally got that, in a way the GDB folks will approve and
won't horribly clutter the kernel.
We also got stuck on catching memory faults cleanly since it seems the
set_fs(KERNEL_DS) trick we used to use (and I swear worked), stopped
working around 2.6.10, but I haven't found time to go back and verify
when it stopped working.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/