Re: Real-Time Preemption and RCU

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 03:12:19 EST

* Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> One solution I can think of, although it bloats memory usage for
> many-way boxen, is to just have a table in the rwlock with one entry
> per cpu. Each CPU would get one concurrent reader, others would need
> to sleep

yes, it bloats memory usage, and complicates PI quite significantly.
We've been there and have done something similar to that in earlier -RT
patches - 64 'owner' entries in the lock already caused problems on 8K
stacks. 32 seemed to work but caused quite some bloat in data structure
sizes.

i'd rather live with some scalability bottleneck for now, in exchange of
a wastly easier to handle design. We can still complicate things later
on for better scalability, once all the other issues have been sorted
out.

Ingo