Re: 2.6.11-mm4

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 09:34:40 EST

On Thursday 17 March 2005 14:41, Barry K. Nathan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:07:55PM +0100, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > since I don't have a 9-pin serial port on my laptop I've been trying to
> > connect it with the testing machine over a 25-pin cable (on a 25-pin
> > port), which, according to the Serial-HOWTO is doable in theory but
> > doesn't seem that easy to do in practice. Setserial reports that the
> > ports are ok:
>
> On laptops, 25-pin ports tend to be parallel, rather than serial. At
> least, that's my experience.
And this is the truth, actually. It is :( a parallel port.

> [snip]
>
> > but minicom or other serial line communication utils do not send or
> > receive any chars. Any ideas?
>
> Hook a printer up to the 25-pin port (the other end of the cable will
> most likely have 36 pins), then use (I think, it's been a while)
> /dev/lp0 as your console device, rather than /dev/ttyS#. This assumes
> that your kernel has parallel console support compiled in, and that
> the parallel port support is compiled in (as opposed to being a module).
>
> And if you do the above, make sure to have lots of paper handy. Also,
> this trick probably won't work with all printers, but it stands a good
> chance of working.
This is an option but I don't have a printer right now so I think I'll go with
another idea a guy gave me on our laptop forum - USB to serial adapter, it is
relatively cheap (~20â in Germany) and trivial to install. Still, thanks for
your help, I'll be reporting as soon as I get the gadget.

Boris.