Re: 2.6.11-mm4

From: Barry K. Nathan
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 08:43:19 EST

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:07:55PM +0100, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> since I don't have a 9-pin serial port on my laptop I've been trying to
> connect it with the testing machine over a 25-pin cable (on a 25-pin port),
> which, according to the Serial-HOWTO is doable in theory but doesn't seem
> that easy to do in practice. Setserial reports that the ports are ok:

On laptops, 25-pin ports tend to be parallel, rather than serial. At
least, that's my experience.

[snip]
> but minicom or other serial line communication utils do not send or receive
> any chars. Any ideas?

Hook a printer up to the 25-pin port (the other end of the cable will
most likely have 36 pins), then use (I think, it's been a while)
/dev/lp0 as your console device, rather than /dev/ttyS#. This assumes
that your kernel has parallel console support compiled in, and that
the parallel port support is compiled in (as opposed to being a module).

And if you do the above, make sure to have lots of paper handy. Also,
this trick probably won't work with all printers, but it stands a good
chance of working.

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn@xxxxxxxxx>