Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] [announce 0/7] fbsplash - The Framebuffer Splash

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 14:12:51 EST

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:58:08 +0000 (GMT), James Simmons
<jsimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Why do we need patches in the kernel. Just set you config to
> > > CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE, CONFIG_FB, CONFIG_INPUT and don't set fbcon or
> > > vgacon. Then have a userspace app using /dev/fb and /dev/input create a
> > > userland console. There is no need to do special hacks in the kernel.
> >
> > /dev/fb is not accelerated, if you want full acceleration use
> > /dev/dri. Using /dev/dri you can write a fully composited console that
> > displays dengavi in realtime. This is also a path to getting multiuser
> > working without a lot of kernel patches.
>
> Not every device has a 3D core!!! DRM is not the answer for the entire graphics
> world. Its only for 3D functionality. If you want eye candy without 3D on small
> devices use fbdev.

DRM doesn't know a thing about 3D. All it does is DMA, memory
management and queue things up for the GPU to work on. You don't even
have to have a GPU processor you could use the CPU to execute the
commands.

It's the code up in mesa that knows about 3D and builds the commands
to be sent to DRM.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx