Re: oops / 2.6.11 / run_timer_softirq (mountvirtfs)

From: jerome lacoste
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 04:59:21 EST

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:59:43 -0800, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> jerome lacoste <jerome.lacoste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On an VIA EPIA board, I got this single oops at boot. Wasn't stored on
> > file so I had to take a screenshot with a digital camera. Basicallly
> > goes along those lines:
> >
> > Process: S36mountvirtfs
> >
> > Call trace:
> > run_timer_softirq+0x16f/0x200
> > __do_softirq
> > do_softirq
> > irq_exit
> > do_IRQ
> > common_interrupt
> >
> > Process is found here on my system:
> >
> > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 21 Mar 1 00:29 /etc/rcS.d/S36mountvirtfs ->
> > ../init.d/mountvirtfs
> >
> > The exact screenshot (500k) can be found here:
> >
> > http://coffeebreaks.dyndns.org/~jerome/static/images/linux/oops_2.6.11_run_timer_softirq_boot.jpg
> >

> An oops in cascade() is tricky. Normally it means that some piece of code
> has done something bad with a kernel timer. Later, a clock tick happens
> and the kernel falls over. We're left with no hints as to which part of
> the kernel misbehaved.
>
> Please try enabling CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB and CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC and see if
> that reveals any additional info.

Question; the thing happened once at boot time (out of hundreds) so it
will probably be hard to reproduce.

I you may have seen on the pictures, the screen was completely filled
up with the oops information. How will the new CONFIG_ options help if
I don't have more information on the screen when it oopses?

> Apart from that, you have a lot of modules configured there. Please try
> disabling them all, see if the oops goes away. If it does then try
> re-enabling them, see if you can narrow it down to the one which is causing
> the timer list corruption.

If the problem reappears I will see what I can do.

Jerome

> Thanks.

Pareillement