Re: oops / 2.6.11 / run_timer_softirq (mountvirtfs)

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 00:04:18 EST

jerome lacoste <jerome.lacoste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On an VIA EPIA board, I got this single oops at boot. Wasn't stored on
> file so I had to take a screenshot with a digital camera. Basicallly
> goes along those lines:
>
> Process: S36mountvirtfs
>
> Call trace:
> run_timer_softirq+0x16f/0x200
> __do_softirq
> do_softirq
> irq_exit
> do_IRQ
> common_interrupt
>
> Process is found here on my system:
>
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 21 Mar 1 00:29 /etc/rcS.d/S36mountvirtfs ->
> ../init.d/mountvirtfs
>
> The exact screenshot (500k) can be found here:
>
> http://coffeebreaks.dyndns.org/~jerome/static/images/linux/oops_2.6.11_run_timer_softirq_boot.jpg

An oops in cascade() is tricky. Normally it means that some piece of code
has done something bad with a kernel timer. Later, a clock tick happens
and the kernel falls over. We're left with no hints as to which part of
the kernel misbehaved.

Please try enabling CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB and CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC and see if
that reveals any additional info.

Apart from that, you have a lot of modules configured there. Please try
disabling them all, see if the oops goes away. If it does then try
re-enabling them, see if you can narrow it down to the one which is causing
the timer list corruption.

Thanks.