Re: [linux-dvb] [patch] dvb: add pll lib

From: Johannes Stezenbach
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 20:37:25 EST

(linux-dvb list removed from Cc: because it is subscribers only)

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:57:26AM +0100, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> This adds some helper code to handle tuning for dvb cards,
> with a struct describing the pll and a function calculating
> the command sequence needed to program it.
>
> This one was discussed + accepted on the linuxtv list and
> also is in the linuxtv cvs. As the the cx88 driver update
> I want finally get out of the door depends on this one I'll
> go submit it myself instead of waiting for the dvb guys doing
> it.

Michael Hunold is somewhat busy with his new job at Toshiba, so I want
to takeover patch submission for now. However, one thing that makes it
difficult to create kernel patches from linuxtv.org CVS is that there
are a large number of whitespace differences between the kernel tree and
CVS. There's also some corrupted indentation in the kernel, e.g.
drivers/media/dvb/frontends/tda1004x.c:tda1004x_sleep().
I wanted to get this issue out of the way before I start
to submit other patches from linuxtv.org CVS.

I merged some whitespace cleanups from the kernel into CVS,
and created a patch to clean up whitespace in the kernel,
removing lots of whitespace at end-of-line in the go.
The problem with this patch is that it is huge (600K) :-(.
I was crazy enough to mail it to Linus anyway on Sunday,
and it looks like it got dropped on the floor :-((

It would be nice if I could get some advice how to submit this kind of
cleanup (i.e. if I should split it up in tiny fragments), or if I
should ignore the issue for now and concentrate on functional
improvements.

The DVB related patches submitted by Gerd are non-controversial
and should be applied.

Johannes