Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: intel 8x0 went silent in 2.6.11

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 22:47:54 EST

At Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:16:10 +0100,
Pierre Ossman wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> >At Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:16:03 +0100,
> >Pierre Ossman wrote:
> >

> >>It seems I spoke too soon. The defaults picked by the driver are
> >>actually fine. It seems to be alsactl store/restore that did something
> >>strange when coming from an older kernel.
> >>

> >My guess is that kmix is the cuplrit.
> >kmix tends to turn on all mixer switches uncoditionally, and
> >saves/restores the mixer config by itself.
> >

> I use Gnome, not KDE so kmix is not an issue.

OK. (Then it might be a gnome mixer :)

> >Look at /etc/asound.state whether it contains the value of "Headphone
> >Jack Sense" control true or false.
> >

> It saves the setting once I've been in 2.6.11. From an earlier kernel
> there is no such entry.

Of course, the earlier version didn't have this.

And did you take a look at the latest content? What stands on it?
Maybe you once saved a value wrongly corrected by any reason?

> >BTW, the default value of this control switch was fixed for ThinkPads
> >on ALSA tree since long time ago, but unfortunately the patch wasn't
> >accepted for 2.6.11...
> >

> My machine is a hp/compaq, not a thinkpad, so I don't know if it would
> have any effect here.

The fix is not only for ThinkPads but for all machines with AD1981
codec and not known to work with "headphone jack" stuff.

Takashi