Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Richard Purdie
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 07:59:24 EST

Russell King:
It's very much in an arch maintainer's interest to make sure that
cross-compilers are easily obtainable. Any hints?

I was thinking at the time "great, this is one problem which should be
solved". How silly of me. It seems, yet again, that it comes down to
a case of "if rmk doesn't do it, it won't get done." Sad but true.
Now, why do I keep feeling that I'm being taken advantage of all the
time? Could it be the complete lack of productive help from anyone else.

I've found the arm cross compiler generated from openembedded (http://openembedded.org) to be very reliable. The big advantage in using oe would be that it is in active use so it is always highly likely to generate a working compiler. Someone just needs to make it generate a toolchain/compiler for external use[1], make it available somewhere and advertise the fact its available. Generation of the toolchain could probably be almost entirely automated.

Fixes for any problems with compiler would be more than welcome for incorporation into oe short term and for submission upstream for "proper" fixing.

[1] I think I've seen reference that it can already do this...

Richard