Re: [patch ide-dev 8/9] make ide_task_ioctl() use REQ_DRIVE_TASKFILE

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 10:28:16 EST

Hi,

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
On Sunday 27 February 2005 08:36, Tejun Heo wrote:

Hello, Bartlomiej.

This patch should be modified to use flagged taskfile if the
task_end_request_fix patch isn't applied. As non-flagged taskfile
won't return valid result registers, TASK ioctl users won't get the
correct register output.

Nope, it works just fine because REQ_DRIVE_TASK used only
no-data protocol, please check task_no_data_intr().

Sorry, I missed that. IDE really has a lot of ways to finish a command, doesn't it? hdio.txt is gonna look ugly. :-)

IMHO, this flag-to-get-result-registers thing is way too subtle. How
about keeping old behavior by just not copying out register outputs in
ide_taskfile_ioctl() in applicable cases instead of not reading
registers when ending commands? That is, unless there's some
noticeable performance impacts I'm not aware of.

This would miss whole point of not _reading_ these registers (IO is slow).
IMHO new flags denoting {in,out} registers should be added (to <linux/ata.h>
to share them with libata) so new code can be sane and old flags would map
on new flags when needed.

Please do it.

Or, let me know what you have in mind (added fields, flag names, etc...); then, I'll do it. I think we also need to hear Jeff's opinion as things need to be added to ata.h.

Thanks.

--
tejun