Re: [Lse-tech] Re: A common layer for Accounting packages

From: Jay Lan
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 17:32:28 EST

Tim Schmielau wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:

We really want to avoid doing such stuff in-kernel if at all possible, of
course.

Is it not possible to implement the fork/exec/exit notifications to
userspace so that a daemon can track the process relationships and perform
aggregation based upon individual tasks' accounting? That's what one of
the accounting systems is proposing doing, I believe.

(In fact, why do we even need the notifications? /bin/ps can work this
stuff out).

I had started a proof of concept implementation that could reconstruct the whole process tree from userspace just from the BSD accounting currently in the kernel (+ the conceptual bug-fix that I misnamed "[RFC] "biological parent" pid"). This could do the whole job ID thing from userspace.
Unfortunately, I haven't had time to work on it recently.

Also, doing per-job accounting might actually be more lightweight than per-process accounting, so I'm not at all opposed to unifying CSA and BSD accounting into one mechanism that just writes different file formats.

Thanks, Tim!

After spending some time studying how ELSA works, it appeared to me
that CSA still needs a hook for do_exit. Since people agreed that
a complete framework was an overkill, i would be glad to submit
another patch later just to provide a CSA exit-handling inside the
acct_process().

Thanks,
- jay

A complete framework seems like overkill to me, too.

Tim