Re: Xterm Hangs - Possible scheduler defect?

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 17:29:07 EST

>>>>> "Chad" == Chad N Tindel <chad@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Chad> I would make the following assertion for any kernel:

Chad> No single userspace thread of execution running on an SMP system
Chad> should be able to hose a box by going CPU-bound, bug in the
Chad> software or no bug. Any kernel should be able to handle this
Chad> case and shift general work over to other processors.

In many Unices, crucial kernel threads run at realtime priority with a
static priority higher than is accessible to user code.

That being said, however, you've got to be a privileged user to set
real time very high priority on a thread, and if you do, you'd better
know what you're doing. Any SCHED_FIFO thread should run for a time,
then sleep for a time, or it *will* DOS everything else on the
processor.

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*