Re: kernel BUG at mm/rmap.c:483!

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 03:42:31 EST

> really; it was supposed to do that already
> >
> >> i2c_dev 13249 0
> >> i2c_core 24513 1 i2c_dev
> >
> > try for fun to not use i2c for a while
> >
> >> microcode 11489 0
> > same for microcode... try removing that so that the microcode of your
> > system doesn't get updated at boot
>
> What do these two modules do in particular? and how can I disable
> them so that they don't get reloaded during boot time? do I need
> to disable both i2c_dev and i2c_core or just one of them?

i2c is used to directly talk to motherboard hardware such as temperature
sensors. I've seen cases of certain chipset bugs leading to cacheline
corruption when stuff talked to the slow i2c bus and did other stuff in
parallel.

microcode changes the microcode of the cpu (a part of your cpu is
actually written in "software" that can be updated); however updating
this behind the back of the bios might not always be a good idea. (but I
have no hard proof of any failures due to this)

As for how to disable these.. you could just rename the respective .ko
files to .notko or something....