Re: ext2/3 files per directory limits

From: Joel Jaeggli
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 22:25:29 EST

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Ron Peterson wrote:

I would like to better understand ext2/3's performance characteristics.

I'm specifically interested in how ext2/3 will handle a /var/spool/mail
directory w/ ~6000 mbox format inboxes, handling approx 1GB delivered as
75,000 messages daily. Virtually all access is via imap, w/ approx
~1000 imapd processes running during peak load. Local delivery is via
procmail, which by default uses both kernel-supported locking calls and
.lock files.

At some point it makes sense to subdivide you mail load because serialization of i/o on that one filesystem becomes a bigger issue than the performance of your filesystem... We deliver into mbox formatted mailboxes inside users homedirs, some folks do a similar thing with maildir. In the end you can on make one filesystem so fast. beyond that you need more filesystems to acheive any kind of reasonable scaling...

I understand that various tuning parameters will have an impact,
e.g. putting the journal on a separate device, setting the noatime mount
option, etc. I also understand that there are other mailbox formats and
other strategies for locating mail spools (e.g. in user's home
directories).

I'm interested in people's thoughts on these issues, but I'm mostly
interested in whether or not the scenario I described falls within
ext2/3's designed capabilities.

Best.

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Joel Jaeggli Unix Consulting joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx GPG Key Fingerprint: 5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2