Re: mouse still losing sync and thus jumping around

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 22:21:28 EST

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 22:05, Anthony DiSante wrote:
> Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > Yes, It usually happens either under high load, when mouse interrupts are
> > significantly delayed. Or sometimes it happen when applications poll
> > battey status and on some boxes it takes pretty long time. And because
> > it is usually the same chip that serves keyboard/mouse it again delays
> > mouse interrupts.
>
> I have this problem with recent 2.6.10 kernels too, but it has nothing to do
> with load in my case; it happens whenever I switch my KVM to the linux box.

Hi Anthony,

This is a bit different problem and we trying to find a reliable solution
for it.

> Long ago and far away, it used to be that switching out of X, then back in
> (ctrl-alt-F1, then ctrl-alt-F7) would reset the mouse and stop the jumping.
> At some point in late 2.4/early 2.6 that stopped working, and the only fix
> was to unplug the mouse from the KVM switch and re-plug it.
>
> In Oct 2004 I posted to lkml with subject "KVM -> jumping mouse... still no
> solution?" Dmitry Torokhov (hi :) responded that this would work on 2.6.9-rc3+:
>
> echo -n "reconnect" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/driver
>
> That was GREAT and it worked for a while, but now my last few 2.6.10 kernels
> don't seem to care when I do that, and again, unplugging the mouse is the
> only thing that works. I'm currently running 2.6.10-gentoo-r6.

It still should work fine, but in a bit different form:

echo -n "reconnect" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/drvctl

I.e. substitute "driver" with "drvctl" as now "driver" is a symlink to
a currently bound driver that is set up by driver core.

--
Dmitry