Re: sata_sil data corruption

From: Prakash Punnoor
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 11:36:56 EST

Jeff Garzik schrieb:
On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 11:25:55AM +0000, Doug McLain wrote:

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Doug McLain wrote:

The sata_sil driver is without a doubt, totally hosed. I, along with

"without a doubt" being defined, of course, as "it works for a lot of
people."

Jeff

Thats like saying "turn up the radio" when your car makes a funny noise,
or "if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it
make a sound?"

It's tempting and comforting to pick the good ones as an example, and
some bugs are hard enough to find, let alone fix. In the end though, if
one is broke, it's still broke, isn't it?

In this case, the bug _reports_ are hard to find.

Each case with sata_sil is either solved with a BIOS update, a
blacklist entry, or new cables. Just read through bugzilla.kernel.org.

I personally think the driver is OK (works for me like a charm with my Samsung
drive), but as I reported a few times, SiI will corrupt data if ext-p2p
discard time setting in bios is set to too low values.

So, Jeff, don't you think adding a quirk to the kernel would prevent such
reports. (I am damn sure, this reports are cause of the setting I am talking
about.) Perhaps you could ask SiI how to do this in the kernel...

--
Prakash Punnoor

formerly known as Prakash K. Cheemplavam