Re: IBM Thinkpad G41 PCMCIA problems

From: David Härdeman
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 04:23:52 EST

Steven Rostedt wrote:
I have a IBM Thinkpad G41 with a pentium4M with Hyperthreading. I can't
get the PCMCIA working at all. I've tried turning off hyperthreading,
I've tried with and without preempt, I've even added pci=noacpi. I've
added Len's ACPI patches, but nothing works.

I see the same problem with an IBM Thinkpad G40, and only when there is 1Gb of memory or more in the machine.

The problem was reported the first time (to my knowledge), here:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0306.3/0956.html
by a Thinkpad T40 user.

So the problem seems to affect at least three different Thinkpad models.

The workaround I've seen so far have either been to disable pci_fixup_transparent_bridge (as mentioned in this thread) or to raise the value of pci_mem_start.

Re,
David

lspci -vvv with pci_fixup_transparent bridge disabled:
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
Latency: 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=05, sec-latency=64
I/O behind bridge: 00003000-00006fff
Memory behind bridge: d0200000-dfffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f0000000-f7ffffff
BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA+ VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-