Re: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX as device

From: Kiniger, Karl (GE Healthcare)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 05:32:28 EST

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 05:58:05PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

> >>Using ide-scsi is enough to get all the data till the real end of the CD.
> >

> >OK, so the problem is that ide-cd is able to *burn* the CD just fine, but
> >it
> >suffers lossage when ide-cd tries to read it back...
> >
> >Alan - are the sense-byte patches for ide-cd in a shape to push either
> >upstream
> >or to -mm?
>
> The last time I looked at this, the issue was that the user software did
> a large read and the ide-cd didn't properly return a small data block
> with no error, but rather returned an error with no data. If you get the
> size of the ISO image, you can read that with any program which doesn't
> try to read MORE than that.

Not entirely true (at least for me). I actually tried to read the
last iso9660 data sector with a small C program (reading 2 kb) and
it failed to read the sector. Using ide-scsi I was able to read it.....

sdd (from Joerg Schilling) should not try to read more than ivsize
bytes (InputVolumeSize) if that argument is given - I did not
verify with strace though.

Karl

--
Karl Kiniger mailto:karl.kiniger@xxxxxxxxxx
GE Medical Systems Kretztechnik GmbH & Co OHG